Login NowClose 

Couple plead guilty

Brianna Kayse (left) stands with attorney Robin Irwin as she prepares to enter a guilty plea Monday to a charge of second-degree manslaughter in the death of her 8-month-old son.

SHELLEY BYRNE/The Mayfield Messenger

BY SHELLEY BYRNE sbyrne@mayfield-messenger.com

The mother and stepfather of an infant found dead in a Mayfield apartment last summer both pleaded guilty Monday in connection with his death.

Brianna Kayse took a seven-year offer in exchange for pleading guilty to second-degree manslaughter, punishable by 5-10 years. David Kayse took a five-year deal in which he pleaded guilty to reckless homicide, punishable by 1-5 years.

Circuit Judge Tim Stark noted that a grand jury had originally charged both with second-degree manslaughter and asked about the prosecution amending David Kayse's charge down.

"The amendment is based on the complicity of the parties," Commonwealth Attorney David Hargrove said.

Cirris Hatfield, attorney for David Kayse, noted Mayfield police Detective Lt. Brent Farmer, the lead investigator, was in the courtroom and had signed off on the deal.

"I'm satisfied with that given the investigation," he said after both pleaded guilty.

Hatfield also noted that David Kayse was cooperative with investigators and was prepared to testify truthfully at the trial of his codefendant if he had been called to do so.

Robin Irwin, representing Brianna Kayse, confirmed the plea deals but declined to comment further.

"It's truly a sad case all the way around because you've got a child who's dead and two very young people who are going to prison over this," Hargrove said.

Jacob Ryan Craig Boling, 8 months, was found dead July 15 in his home in the Mayfield Garden Apartments.

According to a report Farmer filed at the time of David Kayse's arrest, "Subject admitted to covering the head of the baby with a comforter and tucking the blanket under and around the baby."

The report is included as part of the public court file in the case.

Farmer added, "Subject confessed to detectives that he was exhausted and irritated and just wanted the baby to go to sleep so he could sleep."

Hargrove said Monday that Brianna Kayse put the baby to bed and that there was contradictory evidence as to when David Kayse knew the child was either in distress or dead and whether his actions may have contributed to the death.

"There's absolutely no question that neither one of them had reported the child had passed away until several hours after the death had occurred, and their stories did not match that of witnesses, including next door neighbors," Hargrove said.

Stark will sentence both of the Kayses Feb. 4.